About the Department of Transport
"Transport, the Heartbeat of South Africa's Economic Growth and Social Development"
The Department of Transport aims to lead the development of efficient integrated transport systems by creating a framework of sustainable policies and regulations; and implementable models to support government strategies for economic, social and international development
The core values of the department are:
- Maintain fairness and equity in all our operations;
- Strive for quality and affordable transport for all;
- Stimulate innovation in the transport sector;
- Ensure transparency, accountability, accessibility; and
- Upholding of the Batho Pele principles.
The Strategic Objectives
The objectives that we aim to achieve in providing a policy framework, regulation and implementation models are:
- Competitive transport costs;
- Safety and security improvements;
- Reduce infrastructure backlogs;
- Improve access; and
- Reduce time in transit.